If you do not know what is an easel, then this article is for you, we have told you everything about it, as well as its types.
An easel is a kind of wooden instrument used by artists to grip the canvas in the right position while doing the painting or to display a work of art.
You can choose an easel that suits you better in the terms of the medium of use, painting style, and budget.
Why do you need an easel?
- You can go step back and clearly view your creative artwork from distance. Of course, you cannot do this thing if your artwork is lying down on the table.
- It is a good way to keep you in posture.
- It gives you a full chance to work in the right gesture of your arm and body, rather than just a limited movement of your wrist.
- You can also change your angle at the easel which can be vertically or horizontally so that your painting slanting towards or away from you.
- Depending on the style of an easel you are using, it allows you to do on-location Plein air painting.
- Here Some Best Easel Stand For Beginners and Professional Artist
There are different types of easels are available, that are mentioned below:-
- H-frame easel
- A-frame easel
- Giant easel
- Convertible easel
- Single mast easel
- Tabletop easel
- French easel
- Display easel
- A three-legged easel consists of two at the front and one at the back. This kind of easel is portable and economical but lacks stability.
- Suitable for beginners level to professional artists.
- Does not have in-built storage for painting products.
- Frequently used for painting Plein air
- It can handle small to large artworks depends on the size of the easel and is also available at an affordable option, depending on the size of the easel.
- A famous option for a studio easel.
- Strong but lacks portability. The easel comes with a wheel you can easily move the easel in the studio but it is bulky and large.
- Suitable for beginners level artists to a professional level.
- It can handle small to large artworks.
- This easel is specially made for handling large artwork. As it can handle artworks between 85” to 120” tall.
- It is extremely solid enough to support the heavy canvas frame.
- This easel is the expensive one.
- This easel convert between a standard upright easel and a horizontal, tabletop easel. This makes it easy for artists to work in different mediums.
- The upright position is good for oils and acrylics, although a more horizontal position is used for watercolors, pastels, and drawing.
- It can handle small to large artwork depends on the size of an easel.
- It comes within-built storage for art supplies.
Single mast easel
- Smaller designs are the best entry-level easel for beginners. Larger designs are suitable for more advanced artists seeking a genuine studio easel.
- Lacks the stability of the H-frame easel. Basically designed for studio use( but lacks portability).
- It does not come with in-built storage for art tools and supplies
- It allows you to work in a sitting posture at a desk.
- It can be used for drawing or painting
- Usually comes with an in-built storage
- Solid and compact
- Available in the form of H-frame, A-frame, and single mast designs.
- It is a tabletop easel with three legs which is the most preferable choice for Plein air painting. It is portable and comes with in-built storage.
- In this easel, there is a lack of stability.
- This easel can be used for display purposes only – not for painting.
- A prime and perfect way to display artwork
- It lacks stability but is generally portable depending on the design
- It is useful for art galleries wanting to display a feature piece.
View Also – 30+ Best Gifts For Artists